The West Side Story soundtrack is slated for digital music and Dolby Atmos release on December 3
Physical album available December 10
BURBANK, California, November 29, 2021– (COMMERCIAL THREAD) – Hollywood Records is pleased to announce the release dates for the soundtrack of the highly anticipated film “West Side Story”, directed by Academy Award® winner Steven Spielberg, from a Pulitzer Prize screenplay and Tony Award® winner Tony Kushner. “West Side Story” tells the classic story of fierce rivalries and young love affairs in 1957 in New York. From 20th Century Studios, The Walt Disney Company will release “West Side Story” in US theaters on December 10, 2021.
This press release features multimedia. See the full version here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211129005251/en/
Digital cover of the West Side Story film soundtrack. (Photo: Hollywood Records)
“West Side Story” was adapted for the screen of the original 1957 Broadway show. Original choreography by Jerome Robbins, based on the play, book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, play designed, directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, music by Leonard Bernstein .
Spielberg said: “I dedicated this film to my father, but it was my mother’s love for music, combined with my insatiable appetite for understanding all about filmmaking, that got me started. to collect soundtrack albums from movies when I was young. I loved the cast’s album “West Side Story” since I first listened to it. As a child, I could sing every song by heart – and I sang them, until I exhausted the patience of all my family. The score I feel like it’s always been a part of me, and I believe it’s the greatest music never written for musical theater. My sincere hope is that young people will find this album and fall in love with it as much as I do. “
the West Side Story Film Soundtrack includes 21 songs from the film and will be released in standard digital and physical configurations (CD and vinyl), as well as a digital version in Dolby Atmos Music – a new technology that places the listener inside the song spatially, revealing every detail of the music with unparalleled clarity and depth. Both digital versions are slated for release on December 3. The CD will be available on December 10 and can be pre-ordered here; vinyl will be available in early 2022. Both physical versions will feature sleeve notes by “West Side Story” music consultant, Oscar-winning composer John Williams (“Schindler’s List”, “ET the Extra-Terrestrial”, “Star Wars , “” Jaws “,” Violin on the Roof “).
This reinvention of beloved musical stars Ansel Elgort (Tony), Ariana DeBose (Anita), David Alvarez (Bernardo), Mike Faist (Riff), Brian d’Arcy James (Officer Krupke), Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank), Josh Andrés Rivera (Chino), with Rita Moreno (as Valentina, owner of the corner store where Tony works) and featuring Rachel Zegler (María). Moreno – one of only three artists to be honored at the Academy®, Emmy®, GRAMMY®, Tony® and Peabody Awards – is also one of the film’s executive producers.
Bringing together the best of Broadway and Hollywood, the film’s creative team includes Kushner, who also served as an executive producer; Tony Award® winner Justin Peck, who choreographed the musical numbers for the film; acclaimed conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and GRAMMY® award winner Gustavo Dudamel, who conducted the recording of the iconic score;
Oscar® nominated composer and conductor David Newman (“Anastasia”), who arranged the score; Tony Award®-winning composer Jeanine Tesori (“Fun Home”, “Thoroughly Modern Millie”), who oversaw the vocal cast; and GRAMMY® Nominated Music Supervisor Matt Sullivan (“Beauty and the Beast”, “Chicago”, “Hairspray”), who is an executive music producer. The film is produced by Spielberg, pga, Oscar® nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger, pga, and Tony Award® winning producer Kevin McCollum.
Gustavo Dudamel, renowned musical director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the National Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and the Paris Opera, was hired to lead the orchestra for the musical recordings. The music was performed by the New York Philharmonic with additional music performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. David Newman, a famous arranger and conductor who has worked on more than 100 films, takes care of the two arrangements, as well as the conductor. Dudamel said, “‘West Side Story’, for me, as for all of us in the music business, is in my DNA. Every melody is so natural and easy to process for anyone. Working with the New York Philharmonic, Bernstein’s own orchestra, and ensuring that musicians are part of the new chapter of this masterpiece. “
the West Side Story Film Soundtrack the list of tracks follows:
2. La Borinqueña (Sharks Version) – Performed by David Alvarez, Sharks
3. The song of the jet – Portrayed by Mike Faist, Kyle Coffman, Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Patrick Higgins, Jets
4. Something is happening – Performed by Ansel Elgort
5. Dance at the Gym: Blues, Walk
6. Dance in the gymnasium: Mambo
7. Dance in the gymnasium: Cha-Cha, meeting scene, jump
8. Marie – Performed by Ansel Elgort
9. Balcony scene (tonight) – Performed by Rachel Zegler, Ansel Elgort
10. Transition to Scherzo / Scherzo
11. America – Portrayed by Ariana DeBose, David Alvarez, Ana Isabelle, Jennifer Florentino, Natalie Toro, Arianna Rosario, Ilda Mason, Jeanette Delgado, Annelise Cepero, Tanairi Sade Vazquez, Jamila Velazquez, Edriz E. Rosa Pérez, Melody Martí, Gaby Diaz, Juliette Feliciano , Isabella Ward, Maria Alexis Rodriguez, Yesenia Ayala, Gabriela M. Soto, Sebastian Serra, Julius Anthony Rubio, Ricardo A. Zayas, Yurel Echezarreta, Kelvin Delgado, Ricky Ubeda, Carlos Sánchez Falú, Adriel Flete, Jacob Guzman, Carlos E. Gonzalez, David Avilés Morales, Andrei Chagas, David Guzman
12. Gee, Officer Krupke – Portrayed by Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Jess LeProtto, Ben Cook, Kyle Allen, Myles Erlick, Patrick Higgins
13. One hand, one heart – Performed by Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler
14. Cool – Performed by Ansel Elgort, Mike Faist
15. Tonight (Quintet) – Performed by Mike Faist, David Alvarez, Ariana DeBose, Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Jets, Sharks
16. The rumble
17. I feel beautiful – Performed by Rachel Zegler, Ana Isabelle, Ilda Mason, Annelise Cepero, Jamila Velazquez, Andréa Burns, Tanairi Sade Vazquez, Yassmin Alers
18. Somewhere – Performed by Rita Moreno
19. A boy like this / I have a love – Performed by Ariana DeBose, Rachel Zegler
21. End credits
Soundtrack of the album produced by David Newman, Matt Sullivan and Jeanine Tesori
Soundtrack Executive Producers: Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger
Music arranged by David Newman
Music Supervisor: Matt Sullivan
Supervisor of vocal production: Jeanine Tesori
For more information on “West Side Story”, please visit https://www.westsidestory.com/2021-film.
See the source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211129005251/en/
Disney music group advertisement