The West Side Story movie soundtrack is set for digital music and Dolby Atmos release on December 3
Physical album available December 10
BURBANK, Calif., November 29, 2021–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Hollywood Records is pleased to announce the soundtrack release dates for the highly anticipated motion picture “West Side Story,” directed by Academy Award® winner Steven Spielberg, from a screenplay from the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award ® winner Tony Kushner. “West Side Story” tells the classic tale of fierce rivalries and young loves in 1957 New York. From 20th Century Studios, The Walt Disney Company will release “West Side Story” in US theaters on December 10, 2021.
This press release is multimedia. View the full press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211129005251/en/
Digital cover of the original West Side Story movie soundtrack. (Picture: Hollywood Records)
“West Side Story” was adapted for the screen from the original 1957 Broadway show. Original choreography by Jerome Robbins, based on the play, book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim , piece conceived, directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, music by Leonard Bernstein.
Spielberg said: “I dedicated this film to my father, but it was my mother’s love for music, combined with my insatiable appetite to understand all about filmmaking, that led me to start collecting movie soundtrack albums when I was young. I loved the cast album of “West Side Story” from the first time I listened to it. As a child, I could sing every single one of its songs. by heart – and I sang them, until I exhausted the patience of my whole family. I feel like he’s always been a part of me, and I think that’s the biggest music never written for musical theatre. I sincerely hope that young people will find this album and fall in love with it as much as I do.
the West Side Story Original Movie Soundtrack contains 21 songs from the film and will be released in standard digital and physical configurations (CD and vinyl), as well as a digital release in Dolby Atmos Music – a new technology that places the listener spatially inside the song, revealing every detail of the music with unparalleled clarity and depth. Both digital versions are slated for release on December 3. The CD will be available on December 10 and can be pre-ordered here; vinyl will be available in early 2022. Both physical releases will include liner notes from “West Side Story” music consultant, Oscar-winning composer John Williams (“Schindler’s List,” “ET the Extra-Terrestrial,” “Star Wars , ” “Jaws”, “Fiddler on the Roof”).
This reimagining of beloved musical stars Ansel Elgort (Tony), Ariana DeBose (Anita), David Alvarez (Bernardo), Mike Faist (Riff), Brian d’Arcy James (Officer Krupke), Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank), Josh Andrés Rivera (Chino), starring Rita Moreno (as Valentina, owner of the convenience store Tony works at) and introducing Rachel Zegler (María). Moreno – one of only three artists to have received Academy®, Emmy®, GRAMMY®, Tony® and Peabody Awards – is also one of the film’s executive producers.
Bringing together the best of Broadway and Hollywood, the film’s creative team includes Kushner, who also served as executive producer; Tony Award® winner Justin Peck, who choreographed the film’s musical numbers; famed Los Angeles Philharmonic conductor and GRAMMY® Award winner Gustavo Dudamel, who conducted the recording of the iconic score;
David Newman (“Anastasia”), Oscar®-nominated composer and conductor, who arranged the score; Jeanine Tesori (“Fun Home,” “Thoroughly Modern Millie”), Tony Award®-winning composer, who oversaw the vocal cast; and GRAMMY®-nominated music supervisor Matt Sullivan (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Chicago,” “Hairspray”), who serves as executive music producer. The film is executive produced by Spielberg, pga, Oscar®-nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger, pga, and Tony Award®-winning producer Kevin McCollum.
Gustavo Dudamel, renowned musical director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, the National Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and the Paris Opera, was hired to conduct the orchestra for the musical recordings. The music was performed by the New York Philharmonic with additional music performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. David Newman, an acclaimed arranger and conductor who has worked on over 100 films, handles both arrangements, as well as direction. Dudamel said, “‘West Side Story,’ for me, like all of us in the music world, is part of my DNA. Every melody is so natural and easy for anyone to process. Naturally, it felt right to working with the New York Philharmonic, Bernstein’s own orchestra, and involving the musicians in the new chapter of this masterpiece.”
the West Side Story Original Movie Soundtrack the track list follows:
2. La Borinqueña (shark version) – Portrayed by David Alvarez, Sharks
3. Song of the jets – Portrayed by Mike Faist, Kyle Coffman, Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Patrick Higgins, Jets
4. Something Happens – Portrayed by Ansel Elgort
5. Dance in the gym: blues, walk
6. Dance in the gymnasium: Mambo
7. Dance in the gymnasium: cha-cha, meeting scene, jumping
8. Mary – Portrayed by Ansel Elgort
9. Balcony Scene (Tonight) – Portrayed by Rachel Zegler, Ansel Elgort
10. Transition to Scherzo / Scherzo
11. America – Performed by Ariana DeBose, David Alvarez, Ana Isabelle, Jennifer Florentino, Natalie Toro, Arianna Rosario, Ilda Mason, Jeanette Delgado, Annelise Cepero, Tanairi Sade Vazquez, Jamila Velazquez, Edriz E. Rosa Pérez, Melody Martí, Gaby Diaz, Juliette Feliciano , Isabella Ward, Maria Alexis Rodriguez, Yesenia Ayala, Gabriela M. Soto, Sebastian Serra, Julius Anthony Rubio, Ricardo A. Zayas, Yurel Echezarreta, Kelvin Delgado, Ricky Ubeda, Carlos Sánchez Falú, Adriel Flete, Jacob Guzman, Carlos E. Gonzalez, David Avilés Morales, Andrei Chagas, David Guzman
12. Gee, Officer Krupke – Portrayed by Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Jess LeProtto, Ben Cook, Kyle Allen, Myles Erlick, Patrick Higgins
13. One Hand, One Heart – Performed by Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler
14. Cool – Portrayed by Ansel Elgort, Mike Faist
15. Tonight (Quintet) – Portrayed by Mike Faist, David Alvarez, Ariana DeBose, Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Jets, Sharks
16. The Rumble
17. I feel pretty – Performed by Rachel Zegler, Ana Isabelle, Ilda Mason, Annelise Cepero, Jamila Velazquez, Andréa Burns, Tanairi Sade Vazquez, Yassmin Alers
18. Somewhere – Performed by Rita Moreno
19. A Boy Like That / I’ve Got a Love – Portrayed by Ariana DeBose, Rachel Zegler
21. End credits
Soundtrack album produced by David Newman, Matt Sullivan and Jeanine Tesori
Soundtrack Executive Producers: Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger
Music arranged by David Newman
Music Supervisor: Matt Sullivan
Voice production supervisor: Jeanine Tesori
For more information on “West Side Story”, please visit https://www.westsidestory.com/2021-film.
See the source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211129005251/en/
Disney Music Group Advertisement